Sunday, November 26, 2006

She Gets Him


One of my favorite things about the holidays is that Kellen usually gets a chance to spend time with one or more of his 14 cousins. He is not around his cousins so much that they fight like siblings, but just enough to still be a bit of a novelty. There is only one cousin on my side of the family, my 13 year old niece.

We spent Thanksgiving at my parent's house. Just before dinner, I was beating cream in the mixer to make whipped cream for the fruit salad and pies. Kellen enjoys helping in the kitchen, especially when it involves any kind of machinery. The only thing is, he was insisting that the mixer should go at maximum speed which was causing drops of cream to be flung out of the bowl and all over the kitchen. Of course, since it was my family, everyone needed to be involved. My mom and brother were trying to reason with him to turn the mixer down. I tried turning it down myself and when that didn't work, I unplugged the mixer and asked for a towel to drape over the bowl before we resumed. In the midst of the chaos, my niece pipes up, "Maybe we should tell Kellen what number to turn the mixer to".

What a great idea...why didn't I think of that?

No comments: