
Kellen has never met a piece of meat that he doesn't like. When it comes to vegetables though...that's another story. It's rare that he will eat one, and even then, it has to sneak up on him. Last summer we were having a relaxed dinner at a restaurant on the Tacoma waterfront and I casually gave him bites of chicken out of my oriental chicken salad. Eventually I started slipping tiny pieces of lettuce in with the chicken. Over time I was able to get bigger and bigger pieces of lettuce on the fork until he was basically eating salad for the first time! His dad and I were so amazed that we got our camera out and started caputuring the momentus occasion with pictures.
Yesterday it was my daughter's 19th birthday and she chose to have her celebration lunch with extended family at a Chinese restaurant in Seattle's International District. We ate family style at a round table. When the food arrived, most of us asked for forks, but Kellen decided to eat his meal with chopsticks. I knew it would be difficult for him given his challenges with fine motor coordination, but was happy that he wanted to try. We were all in animated conversation around the table when I heard Kellen let out a dramatic gasp. I turned my head to see that Kellen had managed to pick something up with his chopsticks! My parents thought that the gasp was because he was surprised to finally pick something up. Knowing Kellen, I knew that the gasp was really a gasp of horror because what he had picked up was a dreaded...green...VEGETABLE!

No comments:
Post a Comment