It's 10:29am. In one minute our team meeting will be starting at work. I open my cell phone to turn the ringer to "vibrate". In the middle of this maneuver, my caller ID comes up that I am getting a call from Kellen's classroom. My stomach immediately ties up into knots. I know that my emotional reserves are low, I haven't been feeling well and I had a big event at work last night that had me working until 9pm.
I try to answer, but the call has already been forwarded to my home voice mail. I hurriedly call home to listen to my messages and there is one from Kellen's paraeducator letting me know that Kellen is having a hard day and seems to be shutting down. He hasn't done any work yet today and she is concerned that he won't get up to go to lunch or to swimming. Think. Think. Stomach churns.
I quickly call Kellen's dad at work and ask if he can call Kellen's classroom back and look into the situation. Yes, he can. YES!
I call back after the meeting and husband is leaving work to pick up Kellen early from school. Relief starts to seep into the body. I love this man.

2 comments:
You are very lucky. Your hubby sounds like a gem.
Yup. I 2nd the motion. You cannot do it alone--that is, rear a kid with a disability on your own.
I have a neighbor who has become an S.O. to me and a virtual dad to Vic. Before that, my teen-aged daughters helped. (They are now off on their own.)
Our only problem is the future---because both me and Bill are inching towards retirement. And Vic will never live independently. So who will take care of him and follow up and pick him up at school when we can no longer do it?
Chris and Vic
Post a Comment