
March 21st is World Down Syndrome Day. The date "3/21" was chosen to represent the three chromosomes on the 21st pair that make those with Down syndrome unique. Today we celebrate people with Down syndrome and the contributions they bring to our lives.
What does Kellen bring to my life? He, not so gently, urges me out of myself. He helps me to see the world through his beautiful eyes. I like what he brings out in other people too, sometimes it is the bad, but most of the time, it is the good. I wish everyone could have a person with Down syndrome in their lives. I think if they did, the world would be a much more colorful place where people were sensitive and compassionate. I'm sure there would be an increase in hugs (and really good ones too.)
Do you have someone with Down syndrome in your life?

3 comments:
I do not but those that I have had contact with have been very amazing people.
Just stopping by to wish you a happy World Down Syndrome Day.
3:21
Jodi, I think you are saying that Kellen has brought out the best in you and in your husband and daughter (and dog and cat).
You realize of course that you are entirely counter-culture in your views. Most people regard disability as tragedy . . .
I see Down Syndrome kiddos in my son's special ed classroom on a regular basis, and one of Vic's 2 best friends is a boy with Down Syndrome. But most of the Down Syndrome kids I see are aborted
fetuses, where I work in Women's Health. Because most of the abortions are chosen by parents who have learned that they are carrying a Down Syndrome baby.
My tribute to you (again) for your belief that "Life Is Good" with a child with a disability. You must find a way to clone yourself---indeed, your whole familt!
Chris and Vic
Post a Comment