Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Sibling Snippets


This is one of my favorite pictures. We were camping and the kids had just rolled out of their sleeping bags and still have puffy eyes, but big smiles. They both have their new Lake Chelan t-shirts on.

When D.Q. was little she had the best doctor kit ever. Instead of throwing out the tiny little disposable blood pressure cuffs, we'd bring them home for D.Q. She even got Kellen's doll-size hospital gown. She used to be very attached to a sheepskin that she had slept on since infancy. One day we overheard her pretending to change Lamby's colostomy. It was very cute, but yet we shook our heads at the thought that our four-year-old knew what a colostomy was and what to do with it.

Lest you think she was an some kind of angel-child, let me tell you that we dealt with many years of jealousy toward her brother. At a very young age she used to refer to him as "Little Baby Suck-Up" and would try to convince me that we could just leave him in his crib or even in the street while we went to the store for something she really wanted. All typical sibling stuff, and though frustrating at times, reassured me that their relationship would a mostly normal one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this :). I also love the picture .. so cute :).

Heesun said...

Hi Jodi.

I often wonder how having a sibling with special needs will affect our younger daughter. She is 10.5 months to my son's almost 3.5 years and I can sometimes see this puzzled look on her face, as if to say, "Hey, how come he gets all the attention around here. I'm the baby!!"

But, even at this young stage, I can see that a beautiful relationship is blossoming before my very eyes.

Take good care,
Heesun

p.s. What cute kids!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My son with disabilities is soon-to-be 12. My 6-yr-old granddaughter is with me daily. This past year, my younger granddaughter has (somehow) slipped into the role of older child. She has more skills, more understanding than Vic, my son. Downside--she bosses him around!
If I was a betting person, I would bet that in the future, my granddaughter will be tolerant and patient about people who are different. She won't fear people with disabilities or avoid the elderly, as many do. She won't have a problem if there are inclusion kids in her class. It is a good thing, in the main.
Chris and Vic