Some of the best memories of junior high through college are of my mother attending my tennis matches. She came to nearly all of them. She was there as a silent supporter. My cheering section. Always ready with a smile if I was feeling discouraged. Smiling still if I were playing well. Never critical. It didn't matter if I was winning or losing, she was there supporting me and I felt it. Her support was unconditional.
Perhaps this is why it particularly hurts that I don't feel her support when it comes to how I am parenting Kellen. She is mostly silent, but it is a different kind of silent. Instead of feeling supported, I feel that she is holding her tongue and trying not to criticize. When she can't hold her tongue, she will make a comment such as, "How is it going to work if he always gets his way?" or "Can't you just be firm and tell him 'NO'?"
The things she says are little things, usually just one-liners, but they cut. Probably because we are trying so hard. Kellen's dad and I are doing our very best with a tough situation. Kellen has not been an easy child or teenager to raise. We've had to pull together all of our personal resources as well as community resources. We've reached out to educate ourselves and to connect with others to learn from their experience.
I am being too sensitive? Probably. Do I still need my parent's approval? Honestly? It's nice when I have it, but no, I don't need it. I guess I just miss that feeling I got from her of unconditional support. I miss my head cheerleader.
Thursday, April 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I haven't posted to your blog before, but like reading it. I went to a counselor when my DS Aidan was first born because he was so early and there were so many emotions for me. I was also having big problems with my mom and her lack of support.
She thought she was supporting me in "her" way. My counselor put it a really great way..."Support is defined by the person needing it, not by the giver." She suggested I tell my mom how hard a time I was having and that what I really needed was "XYZ or to just butt out entirely."
I was a little kinder than that to my mom, but the counselor's advice helped. Now when my mom starts down a bad path, I just stop our conversation and nicely say, "Mom I know you are trying to be supportive, but stop and try to think of how that sounded to ME."
It usually helps.
HUGS....I know how hard it is not to feel like you are getting what you need from your own mom.
Lori
I won't go into great detail, but I have similar issues with my mother.
My mom believed that Vic was a naughty child, undisciplined. She could not wrap her mind around the fact that his behaviors were a by-product of his cognitive disability, and that there is only so much that can be done to "teach him discipline".
My Vic cannot stop talking. He cannot help interrupting . . . He cannot stop his perpetual motion. My mom never believed that he could not help these kinds of behaviors.
When my mom lived with me, we had to keep Vic out of her room--my mom was angry and abusive towards him.
My mom has now been in a nursing home for a year. Her dementia is profound. What is left of her seems NOT to be her essence. In any case, she has forgotten her antipathy towards Vic. And I have let go of trying to influence her and of holding onto her.
You are in a different place. What if your mom read what you just wrote? Or if you simply said, on the inside of an Easter card, that you miss her unconditional support? That you feel, sometimes, as if you have to choose between her and Kellen? And that it makes you so sad at times.
I dunno. Stark honesty works sometimes. Sometimes it backfires.
You will know what to do and do it when the opportunity presents itself. Meanwhile, of course, if we have to choose, we must choose our children.
Chris and Vic
I can relate to wanting the support of my mom that is never quite there. I think she is still in denial that my son Elias has special needs so in here eyes I must always be optimistic, hopeful and every time we talk on the phone she asks me what new things he is doing.
I can't write about this on my blog so thank you for exploring the topic and giving me a moment to vent
Thanks Lori, Chris and Christy!
Jodi
Post a Comment