Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Phone


For those of you who just joined us, my 16 year old son Kellen has Down syndrome and he has a thing for my cell phone. I have to be very careful where I set it down as he will take possession of it and be very reluctant to give it back. I really blew it back in January. I should have given him one for his birthday. I gave it some thought and then decided to wait a year or two as I wasn't exactly sure what he would do with it. He has limited verbal skills.

Last night when it was time for him to head off for bed, I noticed he was holding my phone. I asked him nicely a couple of times to give it back, but he was was certain he wanted to hold on to it. I decided to just let him hold it and get it back later.

This morning Kellen was already at school and I was ready to head off to work. I double checked my purse and didn't see my phone. Then, I remembered that last I saw it, it was in Kellen's hot little hands. I decided to do what I always do when I can't find my phone: call it and listen for the ring. Soooo...I dial the number from the land line and hold the receiver away from my ear so I can listen for my cell phone to ring.I wait awhile and I don't hear it ringing. I put the receiver up to my ear to see if the call has gone to voicemail yet, and all I hear is some background noise. Someone's answered! Someone's answered??

Kellen: expletive deleted

Me: Kellen, is that you?

Kellen: yup

Me: Do you have my phone?

Kellen: yup

Me: oh man!

Kellen: expletive deleted

Me: Okay, I'm going to come to school and get my phone

Kellen: silence

Me: I love you

Kellen: I love you more

Me: bye

Kellen: bye

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi Jodi, I'm adding a spot on my blog for places I visit ... would you mind if I put a link to your site on there?

Jodi said...

Sure, that would be great

jennifergg said...

HA! I know being his parent is different than being his fan, but I'm Kellen's fan. I hate phones...maybe I just didn't realize I should swear into them...