As part of my work with families who have children with special needs, I often get to hear their fascinating (and often heart-breaking) stories. Mrs. N. immigrated from the Ukraine to our area about a dozen years ago. In 2000, she had just given birth to her third son and the hospital had called for an interpreter to help share the news that her baby was born with Down syndrome. Instead of simply interpreting what the doctor said, the interpreter also berated the mother for giving birth to a baby with a disability (as if somehow this "tragedy" could have been prevented). This was someone from the family's own culture who contaminated and complicated the parent's adjustment process with her own prejudices and biases.Over seven years later this experience still haunts the mother and as a result she worries over her son more than most parents of children with special needs. However, despite the difficulties Mr. and Mrs. N. have with the english language, they continue to reach out to people and agencies that can support them in their advocacy for their son. They feel very strongly that they want their son to be enrolled in a general education classroom with opportunities to become friends with classmates without disabilities. Maybe some of those kids will grow up without the prejudices that this interpreter had?

3 comments:
Dammit, that pisses me off! My mom was an interpreter (for the Deaf) for over 20 years, and the #1 rule is that you NEVER inject your feelings or opinions. That interpreter should be booted over a football goalpost.
I'm a fairly new reader, and I can't even remember how I got here, although it would have to be via a craft-related site or blog, but I've been reading right along, even going back a couple of months.
Welcome and thanks for your comment. What I've experienced when working with schools is that sometimes instead of hiring a professional interpreter, they grab a teacher or other employee who speaks the same language. I wonder if that is what happened in this case? Either way, it is highly unethical and pisses me off too!
That is horrible for the Mum but it sounds like she has come out of it very strong. I hope that general education classes work out for them.
Jacqui
Post a Comment