Thursday, June 28, 2007

A Perfect Fit


When Kellen was in second grade his teacher and aide came up with a wonderful Christmas gift for him. It was inexpensive, personal, thoughtful and easy to make. They went to a craft store and bought some plastic, magnetic frames that fit together like a puzzle. Then they took pictures of all of Kellen's classmates, two at a time. They then put the pictures in the frames.

The gift was so perfect for Kellen because he was crazy about puzzles and at that time was working on learning all of his classmates names. We kept the frames on the refrigerator and he got to practice naming the kids anytime he wanted to. Fast forward eight years and I still have the frames on my fridge, as I can't bear to put them away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this "routine," that is, naming his 2nd grade classmates, or any other routine comforting to Kellen when he is depressed?

How is he doing? Is he coming out of it? Slowly, as you stated?

Tell that Max-cat that he has to step up to the plate and comfort Kellen better than he has been doing. Tell Max that it is NOT all about HIM(self). Tell him you don't keep him around for his good looks or aloofness--he's got a job to do with Kellen!

Does Kellen understand that he is sad or depressed? Does he have that self-awareness and -insight? Have you tried to make him aware of his own mood imbalance? Or is that not helpful or beyond Kellen?
I hope these questions do not offend . . . I don't mean to offend. I'm just trying to walk a mile in your shoes; and to figure it out.
Chris and Vic

Jodi said...

He is dong a lot better. He's able to leave his room and leave the house with us. He is back to eating and drinking, although it is taking him forever to finish a meal. This is going to be a process, but I can tell we are headed in the right direction. He is smiling again!

Anonymous said...

i would like to contact you privatly. would you please email me at pinkg2s@yahoo.com? I have a few questons. Thanks!

~melissa