Friday, August 17, 2007

Reassurance


Kellen has been doing well since returning from his short backpacking trip. Often times being in a different environment is a great "reset" for him, but this environment was especially helpful since he and his dad backpacked to a place where there were no other people around. It was to an old campground that has been closed ever since the road washed out a decade ago. What's not to love? A cold creek, roasting hot dogs over the campfire and peace and quiet. Time alone with his hero, Dad.

At home, I had time to reflect on what Kellen needs, especially the things that he really needs now, that he hasn't necessarily needed in the past: a calm environment, predictability and most of all reassurance. Kellen needs reassurance and lots of it. Frequent checking in, seeing how he is doing and reminding him that he is safe and everything is going to be alright.

"You are safe Kellen."
"Dad and Mom are here."
"You are going to be fine."
"Let us know if you need to go back to the car, and we'll leave."
"We'll be home soon."
"We haven't forgotten that you want a Pepsi."
"We love you."
"We love you...no matter what."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a few weeks, school!

Will Kellen get this at school?

How can you put this in an IEP??!!

Chris and Vic

foodie suz said...

I love those phrases of reassurance. I think everybody needs reassuring, more than we will admit to...

Jodi said...

Funny you should ask Chris. I've been kind of freaked out thinking about school starting right after Labor Day. The benefit of working in the field of disabilities is there is ALWAYS someone to help you. I have a meeting scheduled with the district on the 31st, I am bringing a consultant with me. Hopefully we can figure out a plan and a program for K. It is probably going to be a very shortened day for him at first and a very modified program. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Anonymous said...

Jodi, why don't you send a list of reassurances, just like the list you posted here on your blog . . .

C & V

Anonymous said...

Oh, and include ways for Kellen to "reset" as you have written in your blog entries.

jennifergg said...

I love the reassurances, too. Avery "checks in" with me like no other kid has; he needs to know where I am, what I'm doing. But now, when he's so little, it's easy--a pat on the head, a kiss, sometimes just a "here I am!" and we're on our way. I can tell it's going to become much more complicated, as he grows up.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Kellen. I hope it gives me time to adjust, myself.