School starts the day after Labor Day. At first I was absolutely dreading the thought, now I'm trying to avoid thinking about it altogether. It is hard to plan for this fall when I know that Kellen will not be able to attend a full day of school and won't be able to attend a full week. In fact, I have no idea what he will be able to handle until we get in there and figure it out.
I don't know how to make his day as stress-free as possible...after all this is a large high school full of unpredictable people and situations. Commotion makes him anxious. Too much noise, people talking over and around him, and over-stimulation makes him anxious. People in his face makes him anxious. People pressuring him makes him anxious.
I've been thinking lately about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Kellen still does not feel safe most of the time. How can he learn anything they want to teach him at school if he feels unsafe?
Tomorrow afternoon we have our second appointment with his psychiatrist and Friday afternoon we have an appointment with one of our school district administrators. Stay tuned for more excitement from the front lines!
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment