Friday, October 19, 2007

Old Dog, New Tricks?

Last March I did a series of blogs with some advocacy tips. I have to admit, it's frustrating for me to attend a school meeting where I see a parent strongly advocating for their child, but in all the wrong ways. They are advocating in a manner that is not productive, not effective, and even damaging to relationships. If our kids are in the public school system, we need to be able to work together with the people who serve them. It is not enough to be a strong advocate, we need to be effective advocates.

I have worked the last few years to coach parents of young children how to be effective advocates. I would love to figure out some ways to work with parents of older kids. Parents who have started off on the wrong foot and need to turn things around.

Can an old dog be taught some new tricks? What do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anything can happen with a box of chocolates and a good red wine.....
I was not an effective advocate when my son was young. I had too much baggage I carried around from year to year and lots of old tapes playing in my head. I wasn't able to convey our vision in a way where the school folks could see their part in all of it. We homeschool now. I am definately an old dog and wise enough to know I need to learn new tricks as I am looking down the road into the future.

Casdok said...

I would like to think so, but i know what you man about older parents!
Good luck!!!

[with]tv said...

Jodi,

I think there's a real need for the kind of service you are speaking of.

With the right "handling" (speaking as a former guide dog trainer!) "old dogs" can learn new tricks and I believe there are plenty of parents out there who would be willing to bend over backward and do flips if that's what it took to make things happen on behalf of their children.

I also believe that there are many parents advocating for their children who have started off on the right foot, but they too could use such support.

My husband and I had to do some advocating on behalf of my son while he was in high school. While I felt we were capable effective advocates ourselves, reaching out to others for support proved invaluable, especially in terms of emotional support. I'm a firm believer that "it takes a village to raise a child". Why do it alone if there are folks out there like you offering to reach out and help?

Go for it Jodi.

Blog [with]tv said...

Forgive me for posting this second comment. I'm having trouble getting my link to work and I'm hoping this does the trick!

Baby Island said...

Yes, I accept.

It was an offer right?

Meg said...

Please do this, and tell me it works! My MIL and BIL (age 15, DS) really need this kind of help -- desperately!

Signed Meg, a new but engrossed reader.