Friday, February 8, 2008

Interesting Times

Sweet Husband has started to work a 3:30-Midnight shift three nights a week so that Kellen can be covered during the day when I go to work. The adjustment is going to be a challenge. Yesterday Kellen wasn't in the mood to go anywhere all day until after S.H. left for work at 3pm. Then he decides to get his swim trunks and flip-flops on. This is Kellen's statement that he was now ready to go to the health club for a swim, steam room, etc. Now that his father (who is the one with the membership) has left for work, Kellen is ready for the health club. We called S.H. at work so that he could reinforce that they would go the next day. This worked for about an hour or so, but later when it was time for bed, Kellen opened the front door and stood looking out...waiting for his dad. Break my heart. None of my convincing, reassuring, etc. was working so I just had to turn off the heat in the house (while Kellen stood with the door open) and wait him out. Finally about a half-hour later, he shut the front door and went to bed.

This morning I ran out to our local fancy-pants grocery store. As I was waiting in the check-out line, I heard someone call my name. I turned around and saw to my great joy that it was Kellen's Kindergarten teacher who I haven't seen in several years. This is the teacher that I wrote about here. It was so good to see her. She asked how Kellen was and as I told her about his anxiety, I burst into tears. I was embarrassed. I really felt like a dork. It wasn't so bad that I started to cry, but that I hadn't seen her in a few years and within the first 90 seconds of seeing her again...I started to cry. It made me feel like an emotionally unstable mess. Which I'm not...I swear. I swear to all of the Internet, but especially to my loyal blog readers...all three of them.

On a happier note, my "friend who rocks" scored us three tickets (including D.Q.) to Mamma Mia! I can't wait.

4 comments:

foodie suz said...

I similarly ran into a mom who also has a child with Ds - her daughter is three years older than my son, and she was the first 'other' mom that I met after Aaron was born - in the Toys R Us parking lot around Christmas.

Just seeing her made me burst into spontaneous tears.

You are in good company.

Casdok said...

Yep i have done it to!
Hope kellen adjusts to the time change soon.

S said...

I am sure -- no, positive -- that she understood.

catherine (fairchild) calhoun said...

Count me in too, I cried when I saw my internist a few months ago, as soon as she asked about the kids, pitiful.