Thursday, April 17, 2008

The R Word

The R word...

No, I don't mean Revolution
I don't mean Recession
I don't even mean Racism.
I mean R*tard
I mean R*tarded

It is a hateful word used by bullies.
An archaic, hurtful word to demean, torment and even segregate people.

Why do we tolerate it?
Why do we overlook it?
It is not acceptable.

If you don't believe me...ask someone with an intellectual disability what they think of it...if you dare.

Andrea writes in her post Don't Say that Word:

No, it’s NOT “just a saying”. It’s an insult stemming from prejudice. Using that word in such a way continues that prejudice.

No, it’s NOT “just a joke”. Using it continues the abuse of disabled people by ridiculing and Othering them.


Please read her post in it's entirety here.

Watch Soeren's speech here.

Join the R Word campaign here.

8 comments:

Baby Island said...

I'm curious about how you feel when people use it in their blog, for example Dream Moms last post contained the term several times.

I know I caused some backlash by disagreeing in my own blog about the attack of writers and their usage of the term and was blacklisted to a degree because of that.

Is it ok for some to use it and not others?

Julie

Kellan said...

It is a horribly hurtful word!! Thanks for the reminder.

Have a good weekend - Kellan

Jodi said...

Some people use it as an insult or to be funny.
Some people use it (mental retardation) as a clinical term(although that seems to be changing)
Some people use it because they aren't aware and informed that the term is hurtful and out-of-date or because they don't know a better term.

In my opinion, it is not okay for some to use it, but I also look at a person's intent.

Baby Island said...

You may find a very blurry line when allowing some and not others to use the term retarded.

People can be very hurt by this point of view as well you know.

Intent is very important in all words we use.

But how selective is ones perspective on intent?

Gets very confusing, no?

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Oh, and you've won an Excellent Blog Award.

Anonymous said...

I think we are in a transitional time and "phasing out" the term retartded. We are not there yet, and we WILL encounter others who have not evolved in their choice of words. Intent is everything, and gently pointing out to people better linguistic choices helps in the phasing out, while silently seething/tolerating will help no one.

It is the same process we have seen for "fag", the "N" word, "lesbo", etc. There was a time people didn't think twice about using this language, but times change as people evolve and know better.

-Sheila

akakarma said...

I love this message and promptly joined the campaign. I think it is important to focus on why it exists in the universe, like all hurtful things there is a reason for it. Raising consciousness about what it means and how it feels and how it is abused is the most important thing to me. Helping people become more articulate, expand vocabulary and insight is essential rather than trying to be word police.I guess I'm a little on the civil liberties side of things eh? :)

Rob at Kintropy said...

Thanks for the links to explore.

I almost always hear the R-word as an off-handed insult: a common usage without much thought of impact. I used to brush it off uncomfortably, but find it more useful and fulfilling these days to respond & inform (sometimes a bit sharply, to be honest).