Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Out Standing in His Field


Kellen's personality was lost temporarily this past year...but it is completely back now. It's been fun to see people's reactions to him lately...especially people who didn't really know him before the anxiety and depression hit. They are so surprised at just how funny and charming he can be. He is much more alert, observant and aware then he has been in the past few months. Kellen's use of language is exploding and he is putting some new concepts and sentences together. He is self-motivated to try spelling and writing new words.

Today he came to work with me for a couple of hours. He watched me facilitate a meeting by standing at the front and writing on an flip chart. When I was done, I sat down next to him and he said matter-of-factly, "You're in charge." I loved it!

Then, later, we were driving to another meeting and listening to country music on the radio. He currently likes the song sung by Toby Keith...She's a Hottie. It came on the radio and he sang along. We we arrived at our meeting, I asked if he wanted to sign-in on the attendance sheet. I looked over to see that he wasn't starting with "K", but rather an "H". That intrigued me, so I watched what he would write. To my surprise, he didn't write "Kellen", but wrote, "Hote"...which I am positive meant, "Hottie." I do believe his self-esteem is back too!

An update on the neighbor situation: Sweet Husband called the landlord and within a couple of days the two pitbulls and the crate of chickens in their garage are gone. We didn't even have to call animal control...yes!

3 comments:

Clare said...

Jodi, that's wonderful news. It has been heartbreaking sometimes to read how he has struggled over the past year. I believe that the way you and your family allowed him to be, and to recover at his own speed, plays a large part in his return to his regular personality. I am so glad for his sake and yours that he can enjoy life again.

mommy~dearest said...

I second that. I am so thrilled for you that your son is back. We're still having a dramariffic time at my house, but I'm hanging in there.

Hottie, huh? Hmmm...look out ladies!!!

Anonymous said...

wow you're lucky to have Kellen as your own......

DQ is a very lucky lady indeed. I wish I had a Kellen as a sibling......my sister is awesome......she tries to understand what disabled/autistic life is like, but she can't fully appreciate the difficulties.

It wouldn't even take Kellen thirty seconds to understand something like that. He lives it every day.

He knows it fully....even if he cannot express what he knows all the time.

good news about the neighbor situation.

Tomorrow is the next disability blog carnival.....I can't wait

it's at ryn tales..

We are hosting one in august!

Athena