Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Stability



We're taking our time moving our worldly goods back into our house. For one thing, it's time to get rid of a few things. We have a lot of stuff and we have a small house. It's time to unclutter and simplify and those are two things I'm not good at. It's been interesting to live without a few things for awhile and see how important they really are to our comfort and joy.

There is one item which seems to be a cornerstone in our house...our mantel clock. It was one of the first things we bought after we moved here to our first house over eighteen years ago. I did not grow up with a mantel clock and I don't remember why we decided to buy one, but it quickly became an important part of our family.

It sits prominently above our fireplace and chimes every fifteen minutes. You can hear the chimes and know without even being in the same room as the clock, what time it is. If the power goes out, the clock keeps ticking because it is not run on electricity, but wound with a key.

I remember when our kids were little and they would have friends over to play. When the clock would chime their friends would look up from their play and ask with wonder what that sound was. I've had people on the other end of the phone line hear the chimes and tell me how beautiful they sound.

Most of all, our clock has meant stability for a busy family. It sits steadfast on the mantle and primly tells us that the school bus is about to arrive, it's almost time to leave for church, or our favorite television show is about to start.

The clock has been packed away since our remodel, but this evening I went to find it and put it back in it's rightful place.

Now it feels more like home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Your writing gives me very good feelings.

Love the photos of the remodel, too. The results are very pretty. Barbara

Anonymous said...

I forgot how much I like the "old fashioned" clocks :)
-Sheila

Nora said...

I love that you have that clock. Congrats on your remodel!! We are about to start one ourselves..if you know of good folks who work in Seattle, let me know!

Sustenance Scout said...

Those chimes remind me of the new bells in our recently remodeled church. I grew up in a town that had church that rang every hour; and yes the kids would stop playing to listen. :) K.