Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hankenstein

My kid is weird.

Today when he got home from work he seemed a little hyped up. I decided to give him lots of space so he could unwind,take a break and relax. After awhile I heard him rustling around in the refrigerator, but I took my chances (that he could be making a big mess) and stayed in the other room. In some ways Kellen seems to be regaining some of the independence skills that were lost in the "fog" of the last year and a half of anxiety and depression...and I'm really happy to see that.

After awhile I went into the kitchen to check on him. He looked at me and said something that sounded like, "Hankenstein". Halloween was only a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering if he might have seen something that frightened him. I replied, "Frankenstein?" He kept repeating the word that sounded like "Hankenstein"...although it began to sound more like a request. I knew I wasn't going to be able to figure it out so I asked him to show me. He said, "On my bed." I was still kind of in the "Frankenstein" mode so I was wondering if he was thinking that Frankenstein was under his bed or something. That could explain why he didn't sleep very well last night.

I opened the door to his bedroom not expecting to see anything unusual. Instead, there lay a package of tortillas in the middle of his perfectly made bed. It was just lying there looking like it was waiting for something. It looked so funny and horribly out of place, I had to laugh. Picking it up, I walked back into the kitchen. Remembering that we had soft tacos a couple of days ago, I held up the tortillas and asked him if he wanted a leftover soft taco. He said yes...so I made him a couple...emphasizing the words "soft taco" the entire time.

I did kind of want to call them Hankensteins though.

3 comments:

Stat Mama said...

I had to laugh, this one hit home! My daughter comes up with words for things that leave me utterly lost as to what they might be. Songs, toys, food items, none of them are safe from re-naming. There's a Carrie Underwood song she likes, Young and Beautiful. She called it "the swashinholapfeltime song". I was like...the who? lol

Hmm. Now tacos sound good.

Stat Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Casdok said...

Great to hear that kellen is regaining some of his lost skills.