"Be glad there's one place in the world
Where Everybody Knows Your Name
And they're always glad you came
You wanna go where people know
People are all the same
You wanna go Where Everybody Knows Your Name" Cheers
Besides school and his work program, Kellen regularly visits a couple of places "where everybody knows his name". This morning I observed him handing out programs and greeting people at church. He gives attendees a program no matter if they want one or not. Go out to get coffee and come back?....get another program. Taking a bathroom break?...get a second program upon your return. Just try to get by Kellen without receiving a program...it's not easy.
Many of the people at church are very gracious and have gotten to know Kellen. He shakes their hand or pats them on the back and calls them "Tough Guy" or if they are small, "Little Chief". Since today was a special day, he was sure to wish people a "Happy Mother's Day." Church is one of those places where he feels comfortable and he knows far more people than I do. Church is a place where everybody knows his name.
Kellen also goes to the health club with his dad every weekend. They make the rounds between sauna, jacuzzi, steam room, and swimming pool. Nearly all of the employees and many of the members know Kellen by name. They enjoy his company, and Kellen does not ask much of them. Last night there were three men sitting by the jacuzzi....Sweet Husband calls them Kellen's Korean Godfathers. When Kellen walked into the room all three of them smiled and waved. Kellen went over and shook their hands. He feels a sense of acceptance and belonging at the club...everybody knows his name...everybody's glad he came.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Kellen is also known where he banks, and by the pharmacy tech at his local drug store.
My sister-in-law's younger sister has DS. She's a very sweet young lady who loves disney movies and often calls me on the phone to chat. I was reading your site and Kellen sounds like a nice young man with a lot of personality.
Just discovered your blog. Is there any topuic you are specifying for the upcoming disability carnival?
Rickismom of Beneath the Wings
The subject will be "Family Reunion"
I love this post. I can just picture him giving out the programs at church...and calling people "Tough Guy" or "Little Chief"...too funny. I'd go in and out just to have him hand me more programs! I'll bet he does a great job and puts a smile on a lot of faces.
Post a Comment