.jpg)
“I knew when I saw your son, that he was an angel” said the tearful woman at church today. Angel? I blinked and the morning flashed through my mind.
Kellen was taking a long time to eat his bagel and cream cheese. It was time to leave for church, but he wasn’t quite finished. He hates to be rushed, so already the morning wasn’t sitting well with him. Finally my husband, daughter and I went out to the car to wait and eventually he appeared and begrudgingly got into the car.
During the short drive, as the rest of us were chatting, Kellen was practicing his four letter words. Not exactly what we like to hear on the way to church! Normally our preference is to sit near the front, but today for some reason (which was apparent later) we decided to sit in the second to the last row. I thought maybe Kellen would be less of a disturbance if he decided not to use his “quiet voice”.
Sure enough, there were several times he was a little loud and we had to gently remind him to be quiet or put our finger to our lips. After the service as we got up to leave, a white-haired woman who had been sitting in the row in front of us, turned to talk to my husband. I had never seen her before, so I assumed that my husband might have gotten to know her earlier as he and Kellen are greeters at the beginning of the service. He started to talk with her while we put our coats on and picked up our belongings.
He turned to include me in the conversation and the woman introduced herself as a visitor from South Africa. She and her grown son requested some time to talk with us. It was more than a little awkward as Kellen did not want to change his plans. He knows that after the service, we go out to the car. He was protesting about having to stop and wait. The woman did not want to talk in front of Kellen, but she did want to talk immediately. I asked my daughter if she would take Kellen out to the car, but he refused to leave without us. So, we did the best we could to talk with the woman and her son.
She was hurting. Her daughter who also lives in South Africa had just gotten some disturbing news about her pregnancy. It was unclear to me if the diagnosis was Down syndrome, but the doctors were saying that the baby’s brain was showing an excess of fluid. The doctors were telling her she needed to terminate her pregnancy.
The grandmother was visiting her son in our town and had come to our church that morning asking God to show her a sign. A Sign. During the service something made her turn around and she locked eyes with my son.
My son was her Sign. Today my son was her angel sent from God to give her a message, a message that her granddaughter deserved to live. That they could be a happy family. That everything would be alright.
We gave her our address and email and offered her a book to take back to Africa with her. The book is called Gifts and written by many parents who have children with Down syndrome. We talked with the woman and her son about the gift our son is to our family. We explained that all children are a gift from God and who are we to say that his gifts are not good enough for us?
I left the church with tears in my eyes. Today Kellen made a difference.

5 comments:
What a beautiful post. I have been much saddened by the new ACOG recommendations, and I've been wringing my hands, wondering What can be done, what can be done? You've shown me...make a difference, one child at a time, one family at a time.
Say, I didn't know you had a blog! I'd like to link to it from mine, a new one called Pinwheels for parents of children with DS. You can see it here:
http://jennifergrafgroneberg.wordpress.com/
if you want to check it out before deciding.
Thanks for thinking about it, and thanks for the post!
Sure Jennifer, that would great.
Jodi
Okay, got 'er done!
Thanks again, I loved your post.
Good post Jodi. I think all mothers know in their own heart what they want to do, they just need the confidence to do it. It's not easy raising a disabled child, but it's not the end of the world either. There are a lot of joys to it too.
Wow, that's what I told her, "It's not the end of the world".
Post a Comment