
Kellen has had many nicknames over the years. When he was a newborn we called him Elf Man because he was so skinny and looked like a tiny old man.. After his heart surgery he started to gain weight and we called him Melon Man or Kellen Melon. As a toddler we often called him KayKay. His sister who is three years older changed that to Kay-Ka-Bomber one day because he would often stand on the couch and tackle her as she was watching television. He is still kind of a Kay-Ka-Bomber when you least expect it.
Sometimes, tongue in cheek, his dad and I refer to him as Special Eddy or Special K. Of course, that is only at home, with each other, usually after a long day...a little black humor. He usually calls me "Pecial Mommy" right back. Mostly I just like to call Kellen, My Buddy or simply, My Son.

2 comments:
Jodi, I left you this message earlier today, but it wouldn't go. Wouldn't appear, I guess I want to say. (When I hit "Publish your comment," nothing happened.)
Your reflections on (nick)names is so Zen to me. The daily things---you have mindfulness about these things; you don't pass judgment---it just is; you are accepting. There is a serenity---I think I said this before.
I am reading and contributing to other blogs where there is such unrest, so many laments, such foment. It is exhausting.
And still other blogs are naive about taking care of children with disabilities. They have the flavor of martyrdom (this is me passing judgment--I am ashamed to admit I do this). Your reflections are so different . . .
Kellen must surely thrive in such a home. And your daughter (and animals) as well.
Chris and Vic (CAK)
Pecial Mommy, that is so cute!
Post a Comment