Monday, February 26, 2007

A Spider Tale


Sometimes it seems like I dreamed this. I know that I didn't.

During the summer months, Kellen will often come to work with me. He enjoys typing on the computer, helping me with projects, writing or drawing. His drawings are normally scribbles, geometric shapes, or rows and rows of letters. This day was so different.

Kellen was twelve years old and he sat with me at my desk while I worked. I was busy, but eventually I looked up and over at his paper. I was shocked to see an incredible sketch of a detailed spider. I mean, I was shocked.

I started to wonder. Did he copy it? Did someone else draw it? No, he was sitting right next to me the whole time. I know that he drew it himself from memory. I only wish that I had watched him create it stroke by stroke.

That was almost four years ago and he has never drawn anything else like the spider. I think that he will someday. Some day when the stars are aligned. Some day when he feels like it. Until then, I hold this memory close. The day that I first saw my son as an artist.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodi, there is a story in An Anthropologist on Mars that will put you in mind of this experience. I highly recommend this book by Oliver Sacks.

I have actually had this experience personally. I have been able to draw something in great detail (though not from memory). You are right---it is an unpredicatble experience, when the stars are aligned and the moon is in the 7th house, etc.
Chris and Vic

Jodi said...

It sounds like an interesting book. Which story is it?

Anonymous said...

There are several stories actually. There are two artist stories, and another that sounds "savant". I cannot remember the names of the stories any more--sorry.
But even the story about Temple Grandin, which is the "title" story... Temple knows instinctively how to create something (in this case, a hug-machine) that uses her talents and addresses her needs.

I like this book so much that I gave it to everybody on my list one Christmas.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful spider it is.

jennifergg said...

Avery does things too, once, never again to be repeated. I hold on to them, and like you, I think...someday! I'll see that again someday!