Saturday, March 31, 2007

The Bagel Cutter


It's often hard to figure out what to give Kellen for his birthday or for Christmas. After the standard DVDs, CDs, and clothes, there isn't much else that he likes or asks for. What makes it even harder is his birthday and Christmas are only two weeks apart.

A couple of years ago I was trying hard to think of a good idea for Christmas. I thought he might like a bagel cutter. He eats bagels every day for breakfast and loves anything that resembles a "machine". He also likes to be able to do things on his own without help. I sprung for a good quality one from Williams-Sonoma. You can find it here.

It may be non-traditional, but it made Kellen happy. Have you ever given your child an interesting or unusual gift? Please share...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is a very thoughtful gift. I am always supportive of anything that support independence...that is unless it is for me - LOL!

Not interesting or unusal, but definitely non-traditional...some background first: Emma has tons o' crap. Seriously, totally out of control...presents, hand-me-downs, more presents, and more hand-me-downs, plus some garage sale score. We are always trying to control the growing pile of Emma stuff as it seems to be eating us out of kitchen and home. Last Christmas was the first year I didn't wrap up some of her own toys and regift them - back to her! I dread the Christmas pile every year, and because I didn't give her back her own toys, this year was especially painful. We live in a townhouse for god'sake!

Definitely unconventional.

We don't plan on telling her when she is older either.

Anonymous said...

This year for Christmas, I gave Vic a complete set of Scott Joplin's ragtime music (most well-known piece is Maple Leaf Rag).
Though Vic loves music, this album is not his favorite, actually.
He loves Prairie Home Companion, so he got 2 Garrison DVDs--one of the Prairie Home Companion movie, and one of some taped shows at the Fitzgerald Theatre in St. Paul, MN.

For his birthday, he got a kicking target from Tae Kwon Do. His 12th birthday is coming up this month, and I am sending for a plain Tae Kwon Do uniform, upon which his art-teacher sister is going to draw a Tae Kwon Do action-figure, doing a roundhouse and/or a front snap kick.
Vic enjoys trips to the mini golf range, so most of the family waits till we get up to Door County for our family vacation, and they take him to the mini golf range up there--he gets to go 2x/day if everybody takes him!!!
Talking about stuff, Vic doesn't care about opening gifts--never has. In fact, when we all gather, it is sensory overload for him--all the potluck and food choices. It is nice if we can go to Appleby's where they have the sports channel on the TV, and Vic can order the same thing he orders at every restaurant, ever--which is chicken fingers. Cake he can do without, though he'd eat more than one chocolate chip cookie, and have 2 Sprites, if you'd let him.
Chris and Vic