Thursday, March 1, 2007

Just In Case You Were Feeling Sorry For Yourself


Did you see Dr. Phil yesterday? It featured the mom and stepdad of 6-year-old triplets who are deaf-blind. The stepdad has been wondering just what he has gotten himself into. Hmmm....reality bites. I loved what Jennifer Rothschild had to say to him. She is an inspirational speaker who became blind at age 15. She told him that he married his wife thinking that he could be the hero and rescue her and her daughters, but sometimes being a hero is not "fixing" things but showing up and being there for the people in your life. I couldn't agree more.

Kellen tells his dad that he is his hero nearly every day. It melts my heart. It's not that my husband rescues Kellen or performs miracles in his life. He is simply there every day. Supporting. Encouraging. Fixing bagels and cream cheese for breakfast.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, there has been much discussion about the triplet piece on Dr. Phil at another blogspot--The Preemie Experiment.

My son regards his virtual dad, Bill, as his hero, as well. In addition to the steadiness provided by both dads, I think there is some kind of male-bonding thing, as well.

In other cultures (Native American), pre-adolescent and adolescent boys left their mothers and were raised by male relatives to be warriors. There may be a remnant of that going on . . .

I want to give credit to the mother-heroes, too. They are/have been the "wind beneath my wings," as sung in the "I want you to know that you're my hero" song of several years back---could it be as much as 20 years back? In which case, many won't remember the song. No matter. Mothers have done this quietly and unobtrusively for years---especially for the early years. And then there are all those single moms that people blame instead of crediting . . .

Here is to all of us for being supportive and steady and constant in our kids' lives. The quiet heroes!
Chris and Vic

Jodi said...

Here Here! Raising my glass of Diet Pepsi...

Anonymous said...

I watched this episode as well. I was in awe with the amount of work they do every day--triplets are hard work, I don't know this personally, but it's easy to imagine how they would be.