Thursday, May 31, 2007

Way to Go! (no pun intended)

Kellen hasn't been able to go to school at all this week, but we are hanging in there. The weather has been beautiful this week which somehow helps. Today my mom came over to stay with him so I could go to work.

One of the greatest hazards of commuting as far as I do is the issue of the occasional bathroom emergency. Today was one of those days. Even though I had used the restroom before I left home, the coffee kicked in while I was still on the freeway. You know how sometimes you have to go to the bathroom and you can ignore it for a long time until you finally get around to taking care of business? Other times you can go from 0 to 60 in a minute? Today I went from not having to go to the bathroom to REALLY having to go to the bathroom in about a minute.

I'm on the freeway about 15 minutes from my office and traffic is slow. I AM DYING! I am sure that I am going to pee my pants and have to ask my co-worker to buy me some new jeans at Old Navy. I am picturing the shame, the embarrassment. I am pulling into the carpool lane and stepping on the gas, trying to exit the freeway as quickly as possible. Why it matters if I pee my pants on the freeway or off the freeway, I do not know.

As I exit the freeway I see a church off to the left. I pass this church every day on my way to work and I've often noticed that there are a couple of load/unload spaces where I often see parents taking their kids out of their carseats. Perhaps the church has a daycare? It is one of the few churches in the middle of downtown Seattle. It occurs to me that this would be a perfect place to pull over. A church would definitely have a restroom or two, right? I pull into the 3 minute load/unload spot and park my car. I run in and frantically search until I find a restroom. If anyone notices me, wild-eyed, they don't give me a second glance or say a word. I am a bit concerned that it is this easy to walk into a church with a daycare in downtown Seattle and use a restroom without anyone noticing me. Maybe the homeless use this restroom all the time? Maybe the church considers it part of their ministry? Do I care? No. I am just praising the Lord in the heavens above that this church has free parking in front and a bathroom inside.

I swear if there had been a collection plate outside that restroom door today...well let's just say it would have been their lucky day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you were in such discomfort, but this post had me cracking up =). I'm glad you were able to find a bathroom and didn't pee your pants :).

I've had that feeling before ... so bad that I was able to hold it in until I got home. As soon I put my van into "park" and turned off the ignition, I literally ran into the house, leaving poor Dominic in his car seat, probably wondering what the heck was going on. Good thing my husband was home so I could say "get Dominic from the van!" as I ran past him:). Whew, what a relief!!