Today was successful day for Kellen. Here is what I'm calling a success these days:
I'm able to get him awake by 10am. He eats a bagel and cream cheese and a glass of orange juice in bed while watching a movie. He stays in bed all day until 4pm when he decides to get up. I am able to get him to put his swim trunks on. After I wait about 30 minutes in the car, he comes out with his Batman mask on and gets in. Sweet Husband meets us at the community pool after he gets off work. Kellen stays in the car while we walk into the swim club. Eventually Sweet Husband is able to coax Kellen out of the car. On the way in from the parking lot a young girl who is carrying her baby brother says he is heavy and tries to give him to Kellen to carry. Kellen opens his eyes wide, but he is saved by the baby's father who tells his daughter that it isn't ok to hand your baby brother to strangers.
Kellen anxiously peeks out of the locker room a few times or stands in the doorway, one foot in and one foot out. I sit on the pool steps with my back to him. I have a feeling this will tempt him to come into the pool. I guess right. He finally comes into the pool and the three of us swim and play for about an hour. At first he is very tense, but quickly relaxes and seems to enjoy himself.
Afterwards we dry off and head home for dinner. I am so happy that he was able to leave the house without getting overly stressed, that I offer to go to the store and buy him a box of ice cream sandwiches. He is asleep by 9:30pm or so.
Eight more days until his doctor appointment!

1 comment:
Eight more days, indeed. I am reminded of my son Carter, and how when the babies were in the NICU, and we were all driving back and forth to see them, Carter suddenly began wearing his bicycle helmet everywhere. I told Tom I thought it was the most honest reaction to the whole scenario that I'd seen from anyone.
The Batman mask makes me want to wear a bicycle helment of my own. It's a dangerous world out there!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the appointment, and in the mean time, an ice cream sandwich never hurt anyone...
Post a Comment