Friday, June 15, 2007

Recovery

The good news is Kellen is doing better. However, whenever we go through a really rough time like this it takes awhile for all of us to recover...to get back to balance.

When Kellen was younger and would go through a surgery or hospitalization, the period after he came home was almost as hard as when he was in the hospital. When he was hospitalized, every other thing was put on hold and we went into "survival mode". Just living moment to moment. Trying hard to handle our emotions and do what needed to be done for Kellen. Then we got home and had time to think and feel. That was the time to fall apart...then rebuild.

On Wednesday night, DQ and I went to see the movie Knocked Up. It was very funny and just what I needed to get my sense of humor back. Last night DQ and I went to Trader Joe's and then after Kellen went to bed, we rented The 40-Year-Old Virgin. I didn't think it was quite as good, but we were definitely in the mood for a little juvenile humor. There is a scene were these two guys are playing video games and trading barbs about "how gay" the other one is.

After we watched the movie and all the special features it was after midnight. I was unpacking the bag we had bought from Trader Joes and Sweet Husband spotted a bar of soap. He exclaimed excitedly, "Oh you bought that lemon soap I like!" Then, sheepishly, "I guess that's why I'm so gay".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE READ: Let me first explain how I found your blog. I recieved a stupid e-mail request to type my name into a google toolbar with my name and the word needs after it to see what it is that I "really need" in life. Well, my name is Kellen. So what came up is "Kellen needs him, and isn't that what friends are for?" I started reading about the cat article and I was so touched. I feel like it is fate that I saw this for many reasons. 1 being that I have decided to become a nurse and I know to some extent how you feel dealing with trials and ups and downs, good days and bad days.... I just feel that in life you are faced with moments that connect you to somebody else and your stories about your son just solidify the reason that I want to be a nurse.
kocon004@fiu.edu