Monday, June 11, 2007

Sanjaya Sighting?


Today has been a crazy day. Lest this get way too long, I will stick with our appointment at Children's Hospital. We arrived in separate cars since I was coming straight from work and Kellen and his dad were coming from home. When I got to the hospital, Kellen was sitting in the lobby reading the sports section of the newspaper. He has the "waiting room look" down...leg's crossed, looking a little bored, head in the newspaper.

We all went up the elevator to psychiatry and had about a 15 minute wait in their waiting room. That was pretty anxiety producing for all of us...screeching toddler, swearing preteen, etc. I look over and there is a guy who looked exactly like Sanjaya (from American Idol)waiting as well. Since we live in Sanjaya Country...who knows...it could have really been him...or maybe I am the one who needs psychiatry.

I wasn't sure Kellen would cooperate with us if his anxiety got too high, so I went up to talk to the receptionist about the length of the wait. She went and checked with the doctor who happened to have had his pager turned off. He came right out and greeted us and took us back. Kellen seemed to like him right away and followed him to his office.

After talking with the doctor for a little over an hour, we don't have any definitive answers, but at least we have a few things to try with medications. He thinks Kellen has a pretty severe anxiety disorder and possibly a mood disorder on top of that. He said that anxiety can start to look like all kinds of things if it gets severe enough. We are going to start with cutting Kellen's current dose of Zoloft in half and see what happens. I really appreciated the doctors calm, quiet, respectful bedside manner. Kellen actually did quite well sitting there letting us discuss him. I know it isn't his favorite thing. I feel so much better knowing that we have some competent help now. We don't need to handle this all alone. I hope Sanjaya faired as well.

3 comments:

jennifergg said...

Good for the good doctor! I know you'll find the answers you need for Kellen...and I'll continue to keep a good thought for all of you.

Tracy said...

Glad to hear the dr appt went well. Hopefully the change of meds will help :).

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have been going through a tough time lately. I'm glad you could find some answers.