It seems that whenever my days are too full, I end up waking up in the middle of the night. I go to bed and and I'm so tired that I fall asleep right away, but I wake up a couple of hours later so that my mind can process whatever it was that it wasn't able to process during the day. Even though I feel exhausted, I can't get back to sleep for quite awhile. Today was one of those kind of days, and tonight is one of those kind of nights.
Kellen has needed to get five teeth pulled for a couple of months now, but given the emotional issues he has been dealing with, we had already postponed one appointment with the oral surgeon. He was rescheduled to get them pulled this morning and my gut instinct (or maybe my deep rooted fears and feelings of dread) were telling me that this was not going to go well. I was afraid that he would be traumatized and that it could set him back even further emotionally. Sweet Husband felt that we should go ahead and get the appointment over with and that Kellen could handle it. He worked the weekend and took three days off this week to be with Kellen.
I left for work feeling thankful for such a supportive, hands-on husband who is also a registered nurse who works in mental health. I was also feeling somewhat sheepish, yet grateful, that I was "off the hook" and not even going to go to Kellen's appointment. I dropped DQ off the community center where she works as a swim instructor and headed up the freeway. Twenty minutes later, my tire blew-out and I was pulling over onto an exit ramp. I called Sweet Husband who was in the process of getting Kellen ready for his appointment and we decided I should call AAA. While I waited for AAA, I called my co-worker and alerted her that I may not be able to make the training we were both scheduled to attend later that morning.
AAA came and there was too much damage for him to simply change my tire, so he asked me where I wanted to be towed. I know Sweet Husband has a thang for Les Schwab so I asked the driver where the nearest Les Schwab tire dealer was. He didn't think there was one close by, so he offered to tow me to Firestone. I know Sweet Husband well enough that I just knew he would have a fit about that, so I called him up and sure enough I was right. He was determined to find me a Les Schwab store. Firestone is the devil! While the impatient tow truck driver taps his toes, Sweet Husband is frantically looking in the phone book while my face turns red.
Anyway, I'm sure you don't want to hear how that all went, or even how the rest of my too-busy-day went. I'm sure you really want to hear how Kellen fared. The thing is, that was all very anti-climatic (especially for me who didn't have to be there!) Sweet Husband gave Kellen a pill to mellow him out a bit and drove him to the oral surgeon's office. There Kellen willingly let the doctor put in an I.V. and was asleep a short time later. He had four wisdom teeth and an incisor pulled. The incisor was pulled because it had come in weird due to the over-crowding in his mouth. It took Kellen longer to wake up from the general anesthesia due to the pill he had taken to chill him out beforehand. After a nice nap he did wake up and Sweet Husband drove him and his five teeth sealed in a bag, home.
Kellen is a little out of it, but he is in good spirits and is eating soft foods and drinking. He is also sleeping right now, which is what I should be doing.
Thanks for listening and goodnight.
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I also have a hard time sleeping after days like that. I am glad that the tooth extraction turned out to be a non event even though all that excitement seems to have rubbed off on you.
Hey! i'm going to cali this sunday.. gonna be there for a week, this is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash. later!
A rite of passaage, having ones wisdom teeth out. I am glad that Kellen could handle it so well. What a wonder, to be married to a man who can both direct one to the right tire place and be a nurse at the same time! Not to sound like a drug pusher, but I am fond of either tylenol pm or simply sleep( same sleep ingredient but no tylenol). One tablet helps me sleep ...handy both for the stressful overworried mom not sleeping nights and those perimenopausal, oops menopausal not sleeping nights. I am not a happy camper without my sleep! Anne
I'm glad the teeth came out as they should...I too find that the things I dread most don't necessary turn out to be the things that I should have dreaded about...but then, that's a mother's job, isn't it, to forsee trouble and stear clear of it??? Though it's always the things I don't see (the flat tires!) that get me!
Post a Comment