I'm starting to realize that this "not being able to do things" is affecting Kellen's self-esteem. He hasn't been able to go to church with us for a couple of months. He gets up, takes a shower, gets dressed...but he's just not able to take that last step, which is to get into the car. This shows me that he wants to go to church, but it is still too anxiety producing for him. Every Sunday morning we keep trying, but I see now that we will need to take smaller steps.This morning we all got ready for church and then Kellen went back to his bedroom and froze. Sweet Husband went ahead to church and I stayed home with Kellen. He wouldn't move, wouldn't talk, and looked depressed. I left him alone for ten minutes or so, then went back and asked him if he wanted to help me paint a chair. He came outside with me and had a fun time painting. He was really very good at it. As his brush went back and forth, I could immediately see that painting was helping him get out of his head and focus on something tangible. He loves to feel grown-up and loves to be able to work and contribute. He even had a small smile on his face as he painted. I would say...painting is very therapeutic.

2 comments:
Kellen looks grown up in the photo. I think your boy is becoming a man.
I have been really intrested in reading your posts about Kellen changing. Although I am fairly new to the Down Syndrome life, (My little guy is only 21 months.)
I do have an older son with a disablility as well. He has Asperger's Syndrome. He will be twelve tomorrow.
Alot of the things that you describe are some of the things that my son does as well. You handle them so well. I get frustrated at times and want to throw my hands up in the air and say. "But two weeks ago you loved doing this!!!"
After reading about your patience and gently coaxing Kellen I have come to realize that I need to be more understanding, and let him do things on his own time. Thank you for helping me to understand him better.
You are an amazing mother.
Post a Comment