Saturday, August 4, 2007

Humor Me: The Game

My 19-year-old daughter, D.Q., and I like to play a game when we go shopping for clothes. The game is called "Humor Me". When she was little she would try on anything I picked out for her, but this stopped around age six. By that time, she had strong ideas about what she wanted to wear and, more importantly, what she didn't want to wear. Shopping was quite a fight, er, negotiation process from ages six through most of the teen years.

About a year ago we invented Humor Me. When it's my turn, I get to pick out an armful of clothes that I'd like her to try on. Paybacks come when it is her turn. That's when she gets to pick out what I try on. We're not allowed to whine or complain too much, but on the other hand, we aren't required to do anything more then try something on either.

We have a lot of fun with this game, and I wish that we'd thought of it earlier in our relationship. Try it!

p.s. Don't forget to scroll down to the bottom of this page and vote for the Sept. 13th topic of the Disability Blog Carnival

2 comments:

S said...

What a fantastic idea! I don't think I'll ever need it, because I don't have a girl, but I will be passing it on to my friends with tween or teen girls.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

This sounds FUN and like something that needs a camera on hand at ALL times! :-D My 19yo daughter has always had good, modest clothing taste, thank the good Lord! It's something we have never battled about. I've been blessed more than I EVER deserved!