Monday, October 22, 2007

If

If I try to help you get better, does that mean I don't accept you fully...just the way you are?
If I take you to therapy, does that mean you are not good enough?
If I try to teach you to be "socially acceptable," does that mean it's not okay to be you?
If I try to protect you from the world, does that mean I think you are not capable?

I just want you to know...
I accept you
You are good enough
It is okay to be you
You are capable
I love you

11 comments:

catherine (fairchild) calhoun said...

I like this very much.

Casdok said...

Really good! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Nicely put.

mommy~dearest said...

It means that you are an amazing mom. Beautifully put.

S said...

Oh! This was so touching.

Heesun said...

Jodi,

These questions run through my mind every day...and at the end of each day, I know one thing for sure, I love my son!

Thanks for this post.
Heesun

Jacqui said...

You have been reading my mind but have put this far more eloquently then I ever could.

Anonymous said...

You write so beautifully. I'm really thankful to have found your blog through your contribution to the carnival. I'll be back again:)

Blog [with]tv said...

I have to tell you, so many of your posts bring tears to my eyes. This one is no exception. *Sniff*

Connie said...

Hi ~ stopping by on my way through through the Disability Blog Carnival. Change a few words in this post and this could apply to all parents of all children I think. If only our children could understand and appreciate it...

This is a lovely post.

Rob at Kintropy said...

Well said, Jodi. The tensions here between doing enough and too much are perpetual for us parents. Thanks for describing them so eloquently.