Saturday, October 13, 2007

Stand Up For Your Rights, Sit Down For Your Bagel


Get up, stand up. Stand up for your rights.

Kellen has been singing this phrase all over the house since dinner time last night. He went to bed singing it, he got up this morning singing it, he sang it from the bathtub, he came into the kitchen and sang for his breakfast. I finally said, "Ok, but sit down for your bagel."

Such powerful words. Powerful words coming from my son. My son with a disability. My son who has been struggling with depression and anxiety for several months (if not years.) My son who appears to be coming out of a fog now. He is emerging singing to the world, "Stand up for your rights." Is this a coincidence? I don't think so. I don't believe in coincidences.

Sing it for Kellen today, sing it for yourself:

Get Up Stand Up
by Bob Marley/Peter Toshi

Get up, stand up
Stand up for your rights
Get up, stand up
Stand up for your rights
Get up, stand up
Stand up for your rights
Get up, stand up
Don't give up the fight

Preacher man don't tell me
Heaven is under the earth
I know you don't know
what life is really worth
it's not all that glitters is gold
half the story has never been told
so now you see the light
stand up for your rights

Most people think
great good will come from the skies
take away everything
and make everybody feel high
but if you know what life is worth
you would look for yours on earth
and now you've seen the light
You stand up for your rights

Get up, stand up (Yeah Yeah)
Stand up for your rights (Oh)
Get up, stand up (Get up, stand up)
Don't give up the fight (Life is your right)
Get up, stand up (So we can't give up the fight)
Stand up for your right (Lord Lord)
Get up, stand up (People struggling on)
Don't give up the fight (Yeah)

5 comments:

Dave Hingsburger said...

I don't know the song, I don't know the tune, but I sure get the attitude.I read the words aloud in dedication to your son!

Anonymous said...

Right on, Kellen!

Casdok said...

Im singing!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth said...

That looks like a happy guy.
Ya'mon! Welcome back, Kellen!

Jacqui said...

Wow, that is so great. Kellen you are a superstar!