Thursday, November 8, 2007

I Do Not Like Them...Sam I Am

Yesterday? Someone found this blog by searching on "I hate IEP meetings." I had to laugh when I read that. Was someone looking for a kindred spirit? Was some frustrated parent wanting to find a place to go, read, and feel better? OMG, could it have been a tired, burned-out special education teacher? I hadn't thought of that.

Does anyone like IEP meetings?

Don't answer that. I may not let you come back here.

The best thing I can say about IEP meetings is that sometimes I don't mind them. That is usually when they are for some other kid (not mine), when I attend as a support to another parent. Then they aren't so bad. Not quite "fun", but not so bad. Except when the other parent yells at her child's IEP team and makes them cry. I've had that happen a couple of different times. Buttons are pushed (intentionally or unintentionally...it doesn't matter) and suddenly the parent loses it and spews the venom that only someone who feels their precious child is being maligned can spew. That's when I look down at my notepaper and try not to make any eye contact.

Say, have you ever read Ten Ways to Have More Fun At Your IEP Meeting? An oldie but a goodie. Also try IEPs by Dr. Seuss.

To the person who searched on "I hate IEP meetings." I hear you. You are not alone.

5 comments:

Casdok said...

Wasnt me!!!
And no your not alone!

Kellan said...

Okay, what is IEP? I hope you have a good weekend. See ya.

Penny L. Richards said...

I don't like meetings much, period. But IEP meetings are like dentist appointments--painful as they may be, NOT having them would surely be far worse. (Dentist appointments are better, though, because at least they let you use nitrous during the worst parts.)

Jacqui said...

Me too. But what I find particular painful is when the invite to the IEP gets put in the school bag in between two wet paintings and isn't discovered until a month after the event . . . and yet, nobody raises your non-attendance with you.

tulipmom said...

Thanks for the links at the end of your post. I definitely needed the levity.