Saturday, November 3, 2007

Pushing the Presets

My car was in the shop earlier this week and when I got it back, the presets on my radio were gone. Usually when I push "1", I get Sweet Husband's smooth jazz station. When I push "4", I get Kellen's country music station. All the other buttons were set for stations I love. Now when I push any of the buttons, all I get is static. At first I was annoyed...mostly because I don't know how to reset the buttons. I'm used to pushing a button and getting what I want...what I expect. It takes a little extra effort to tune in a station by hand and I don't even know where to find my regular stations as I've become so dependent on the presets.

Lately I've been pushing the scan button and started dialing the tune knob. I found myself listening to music I'd never heard before. Some of it I didn't care for, but some of it was really good! I even heard some music I hadn't heard in a long time and it brought back some great memories. Losing my preset radio stations is expanding my horizons and getting me out of a rut. Would I go so far as to say it has been a blessing in disguise? Probably not.

I started to relate this experience to Kellen. Maybe his internal "presets" are gone too? Things he used to like just sound like static now. I hope he can find joy and comfort in a routine soon...but in the meantime, can he learn to tune into what's playing around him and perhaps find something new he could embrace?

2 comments:

Casdok said...

Lovely post and an interesting thought.

Anonymous said...

Good post. May it happen!