Monday, January 7, 2008

On His 17th Birthday


Dear Kellen,

Tomorrow you turn 17. I can't believe how old that sounds...how old that is.

Being your mother continues to be an incredible journey. You've guided us through some rough terrain. First there were the medical landmines: congenital heart defect, hirschsprung disease, pneumonia. After clearing those, then came the peaks and valleys of navigating the long trail through the educational system. All along we've stepped over, around and sometimes trudged through the mud puddles that are the labels you've been given of Down syndrome and developmental disability. This year we've been bushwhacking our way through the jungle of anxiety and depression. I say "we" because you are not alone. Your family has been traveling with you...we're a team.

On the eve of your 17th birthday I just want you to know that I have faith in you. Kellen means "warrior." That's what you've had to be. Your life so far has been everything but easy. I admire you. You are strong. You are strong in your weakness.

I love you and the man that you are becoming,
Mom

3 comments:

Casdok said...

That was lovely. Kellen means "warrior, what a fitting name.
Happy birthday!

mommy~dearest said...

Dammit, Jodi...you're making me cry at work again.

Happy Birthday Kellen!

Rob at Kintropy said...

A wonderful post and statement for Kellen and team. Thanks for sharing it with us.