Semantics: The meaning or interpretation of a word.
Words are interesting things. They are tools and they are more than tools. Words can be simple tools like hammers or axes, but they can also be complicated tools like those used for delicate surgeries.
When I am in a meeting or having a discussion and another person says something like, "Well, let's not get into semantics here..." it feels as if they have taken their hammer, smashed the delicate surgical instrument and brushed it off the table as if it were some filthy thing to be gotten rid of in a hurry. It's dismissive. It's as if the person is saying that shared meaning and interpretation are unimportant and not of value.
In some situations, yes I suppose most any word will do. At other times it is important to choose carefully and say it right. Words are powerful, words are complicated and sometimes intricate. Words can shut me down as swiftly as pulling a lever on a giant machine. Words can open me up so that I can listen and understand.
Words are interesting things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Absolutely! Usually, I am pretty lenient with semantics- unless it's about my child. Then yes, you'd better say what you mean, and mean what you say.
Post a Comment