Several years ago I had a small gathering of families over for brunch at my house. Everyone in attendance had a new baby with Down syndrome and I thought it would be a great way for some of the families to get to know each other. As it usually does with new families, the conversation turned to early intervention. Babies and toddlers under the age of three who have (or are at risk for) developmental delays can receive physical, occupational, speech and feeding therapies to help them reach their milestones. These services are now provided in homes and daycares, but back when this conversation took place the services were provided in places called birth to three centers, early intervention centers, developmental centers or in more of a clinical setting.
During the conversation we started talking about the local centers and where they were located.
One of the moms piped up: Isn't there a center in Auburn?
Me: No, there isn't one in Auburn, but there are two in cities near by.
New Mom: But...I thought I saw a sign for a center in Auburn.
Me: A sign?
New Mom: Yes, a sign on the side of the freeway. I drive by it all the time.
Me: Hmmm...what did the sign say?
New Mom: It said something with the word Downs in it...
It takes a little while, but finally it dawns on me:
Me: Do you mean a sign for...Emerald Downs? Emerald Downs is a...racetrack...you know...for horse racing.
New Mom: A racetrack? Oh...never mind.
We spent the rest of the morning laughing as we pictured our kids receiving their services at the racetrack.

2 comments:
LOL! I'd think some kids would prefer EI at the racetrack to some other settings. (Not mine, though--he doesn't like animals or the outdoors much. But maybe if he HAD gone to EI at a racetrack...)
That is a funny story and so something I might be silly enough to say. Have a great weekend Jodi - see you soon. Kellan
Post a Comment