Tuesday, January 29, 2008

This and That

I haven't been blogging much about Kellen lately, probably because there isn't a whole lot that's new. He is still having his ups and downs. On a "down" day he stays in his room and sleeps. On an "up" day he is able to go places with us and we see glimpses of his former personality...with all of it's humor and fun.

On Sunday he was able to go to church with us and do his "greeter" job. He hands out programs, sometimes shakes hands and says "good morning." People will often bypass Sweet Husband to get their program from Kellen. After church we drove out to the new Cabela's store in Lacey. It was the grand opening of this store and quite crowded. Kellen amazed me by handling the crowds very well for over an hour. We started by eating lunch. I planned on hanging out with Kellen in their restaurant while Sweet Husband shopped to his heart's content, but after awhile Kellen said "yes" to walking around with me. I have found that he often does better in a store if he has a shopping cart to push. We also stopped frequently to take a drink from his soda.

I have never been in a store with quite so much testosterone. There was camo...everywhere! There was even a pink camouflage play camping set for little girls. My favorite moment was when Kellen and I were riding down the glass elevator with another family. Their little boy pointed out of the window to the animals on display and mentioned that "some of them were dead" because they were laying on their side. I didn't have the heart to mention that actually...all the animals were dead.

Tonight I brought Kellen a can of Diet Pepsi with a straw in it. When I turned to walk out of his bedroom I heard him say "love ya!", just like he used to do. It's these small glimpses of the Real Kellen that give me hope...hope that he can overcome his battle with anxiety and depression some day soon.

Thursday we have an appointment with a new doctor. A naturopath. I am hoping that she might have some good ideas for us to try to help Kellen feel better...and more like himself. Behind all of that camo...I know he's in there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the ups, downs and unpredictability of it all that takes it's toll for me.
Best wishes

Casdok said...

Love ya.
How wonderful!

Good luck with the new doctor.

Kellan said...

"behind all of that camo ... I know he's in there" - nearly made me cry Jodi. I hope it goes well with the new doctor too - I will keep you all in my prayers. I'm glad to here that he does enjoy going out some and seems to do well. I hope you find more answers soon - for his sake and yours. Take care of you and take care of that sweet Kellen.

Kellan

Kathy Gillen said...

I'm so glad you got a "love ya" because you have to live for those small victories. I go to a naturopath and have taken Merritt, I wish you much success! Keeping you in prayers.

Rob at Kintropy said...

Good to hear the ups and positive moments, and I share your frustrations with the down times.

I know Hannah's pediatrician is pretty enthusiastic about naturopaths in general. Hope that route works for you and Kellen. Curious to see how it goes for you both.