Last night I woke up at 3:30 in the morning and saw a light coming from under Kellen's bedroom door. This is usually a really bad sign in the middle of the night. I opened his door to find out that he was in the middle of watching the DVD Wedding Crashers. I reminded him that it was bed time, turned off the television and said goodnight.
In the morning Kellen started the movie up again. I went in to check on him and he had the remote control in his hands and was replaying a phrase from the movie over and over and over again. It was Owen Wilson saying, "What is wrong with you?" Only it sounded like, "What is wrong with you...what is wrong with you...what is wrong with you...what is wrong with you...what is wrong with you?"
There was something about this phrase that struck a chord in Kellen. Maybe he has heard this phrase a lot in his life. Maybe he needed to listen to it over and over again. Maybe, just maybe, he was using this phrase in this movie as a message to the rest of us. Maybe he really wants to know what is wrong with all of us?? Kind of like, "I'm okay, you all are obviously not okay. What is wrong with you?" Or, maybe I'm reading too much into this and he just kind of got "stuck."
Kellen has not used a machine or computer to talk for him. He does not now use an augmentative communication device. Maybe this morning he just created his own? Just think of it...he could find phrases in his movies that say what he wants to communicate and just bring us into his room to hear the message.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"
"I caught you a delicous bass."
"There's no place like home."
Can you think of some more useful ones?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
"Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?"
Anything from Napolian Dynomite.
Renee, that is SO Kellen! I'm going to have to teach him that one.
SLAP "Snap out of it"!
-Cher, in the film Moonstruck
"sweet niblets"
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."
MFD's sister (One Girl Friday's daughter), Meg
Something we use from time to time in our house! We are fans of Cool Hand Luke. :) MFD's sister Meg.
HAve to agree with Meg....often a failure to communicate does exist around here.
My suggestion:
Make my day! Dustin a big clint eastwood fan.
Anne
onegirlfriday
"And maybe scallops will fly out of my pants" (meaning 'when pigs fly')
- Mr. Krabs, Spongebob
Oh this is FUNNY!
How about...
"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
These are all soooo good! Sheila, Kellen already says, "Snap out of it!" on a regular basis and Moonstruck is one of our very favorite movies.
OneGirlFriday family has quite the sense of humor!
..."and maybe scallops will fly out of my pants" sounds like a phrase Kellen would use often...
or more likely, Sweet Husband and I would use often in reference to Kellen and what he would or would not be likely to do to please the rest of us.
Post a Comment