Saturday, May 10, 2008

Neighbors

My backyard is my sanctuary...and fully fenced on all three sides. It's quiet and it's private. Since all the houses in our neighborhood are ramblers...no one can see over our fence into our backyard. I pretty much spend all summer there. One of my favorite things to do after a long day is to walk around my backyard with the hose and water my plants. It's relaxing. It's my sanctuary.



This is our fence in the backyard. We replaced this side a couple of summers ago when the old fence broke down. On the other side of this fence is a rental house. We've lived in our house eighteen years, so we've been through several interesting neighbors in the rental house. Currently the neighbors in this house only speak Spanish.

Last year our rental neighbors brought home a cute puppy. He is a pit bull. He got big really fast. Before we knew it, the neighbors had a second pit bull in their backyard. Now that the weather is getting better I'm in my backyard a lot more...the dogs hear me and attack the fence. They have ruined a couple of the boards already. Every time we see another broken board, Sweet Husband knocks on the neighbor's door and they replace the board.

I have strawberries and flowers planted next to the fence, but I'm afraid to garden there because of the dogs loudly barking and hitting the fence to try to get to me. Yesterday I noticed they had a third dog in the backyard. This one looks like a Labrador. I can see by peeking through the fence that the dogs have completely destroyed the grass back there and spread garbage. I've also noticed that the neighbors have begun to grill their burgers in the front yard instead of the backyard.

Yesterday afternoon as I was driving home from the store, the neighbor's garage door was open and I saw several roosters in a cage.

Sweet Husband called the landlord last night.

Tell me your neighbor stories and make me feel better?

8 comments:

akakarma said...

Are those forget me nots? I love them. Ooohh! I love animals but hate people who let their dogs regularly annoy the neighbors- how rude!
I, luckily, have lovely neighbors since our yard is surrounded, being set back into the middle of several lots. I mostly get anxious when I fight with my Husband that the neighbors can hear every word! LOL

Baby Island said...

OMG! Have you not just read my own blog woman????

Get you over to my place and read up on "In My Bidness Folks"

I swear, I just pposted it a couple days ago. It must be in the air...

My sympathies. ;)

Rob at Kintropy said...

Well, the house next to ours used to be a rental house that took in stray family members. There must have been eight people in that 3 bedroom house at one point. The kids kinda just wandered the neighborhood sometimes.

Well, they moved on, and a really nice guy purchased the house. He has one dog now (I think one died), but he keeps them well. He also did his own landscaping, and that all turned out great (actually makes ours look not so good ;-)

So, things will probably turnaround. Called the landlord is an excellent next step....

Anonymous said...

Warning - unsolicited advice ahead :)

Do yourself a huge favor and call your local animal control department to complain about the roosters. There are usually controls on such birds unless you're in an agriculturally zoned area.

My husband and I lived next to renters that had roosters; when the renters moved they left the roosters behind. Mind you in an urban setting. Those roosters bred like crazy and before we knew it there were about 50 chickens and roosters wandering all over the neighborhood. Our local animal control would not confiscate them unless they were caged. Little did we urban folk know how tough a job that is! We tried every resource you can think of but kept waking up to crowing roosters at 2 a.m. by our bedroom window! On the upside I do have some hilarious pictures of my husband in the back yard wearing a baseball hat and trying to peg a treed rooster with a bb rifle. I'm sorry about your neighbors!!!

Baby Island said...

On the note of roosters, we had neighbors in our Sammamish hood that were breeding them in their garage for cock fighting. Call animal control.

Jodi said...

Yes, those are forget-me-nots and I love them too. The roosters all over the neighborhood remind me of Kaua'i. That island is over run with chickens and they wander all over the parking lots and alongside the road, etc. I am calling animal control this week! Yikes.

Anonymous said...

whoooa.
I am so sorry to hear about the terrible neighbors. It's bad enough that you have a remodel going on, but then they go and ruin your sactuary!!

My neighbors are ok right now, but I recall living in a townhouse where the couple chain-smoked and all the smoke came through my walls and triggered my asthma. Also, all of my clothes started smelling like smoke. Yuk!
They finally were evicted when their kids kept "playing" in the mail room and stealing right out of the mailcarrier's giant box of mail before it made it into the locked boxes.
-Sheila

Anonymous said...

blech.....that sucks, jodi....

Good on SH for calling the landlord......

when I lived in Auburn NY for 5 months we had weird neighbors.....nothing like that.....but, one woman kept taking advantage of my autism for money....she'd tell me sad stories and I fell for em.

blech.........

and I had a roommate who smoked pot in our apartment and brought friends over without telling me first. I told her beforehand that I have autism and sound sensitivities......obviously she didn't care.

Athena