Monday, June 9, 2008

In Love with the World

I'm not complaining or anything...but my biggest challenge lately is to remind Kellen that he doesn't need to tell everyone he meets that he loves them. He walks by strangers and randomly calls out, "Love ya!" If anyone makes the effort to interact with him...they get a full-blown, "I love you!" Sometimes it's more than a little embarrassing...but I'll take it.

I'll take it over shut-down, grumpy and depressed any day. It's as if he has been lost in a deep, dark cave the last several months and now he has finally emerged to experience the sunlight on his face. He is in love with the world and all its' inhabitants.

Love ya.
I love you.
It could be much worse (and it has been.)
I'm not complaining.

2 comments:

akakarma said...

I know, I know! My sweetie is only 8 but we've been working hard on shaking strangers hands instead of hugging. It's a challenge and feels strange to be working on getting your child who is so huggable to be less so...

Clare said...

Russell reserves his "I love you"'s for attractive women, like the last cardiologist he saw, one of his young teachers, etc. Otherwise he's not huggy at all. It's still embarrassing though, to be in the middle of a consultation and have to remind him of his boundaries.

But as you say, there are worse things!