
I haven't always worked outside the home. For the first two years of DQ's life I was strictly a stay at home mom. Just before her second birthday I started selling Discovery Toys as a home-based business. This worked out great for me for several years, but when Kellen started first grade and was in school all day, I felt ready to work outside the home. I was offered my "dream job" working part-time providing emotional support and connection to resources for parents of kids with special needs.
It was three days a week during school hours, but unfortunately required a long commute. I was willing to put up with the commute as the job was perfect for me. Fifteen hours a week, over the course of a few years, turned into forty hours a week, but I was able to work about half of those hours from home. The job lasted over ten years, until just recently, when I decided for various reasons to move on to work for another non-profit organization which serves people with developmental disabilities.
I do not consider myself an expert on balancing home and work by any means, but I thought I'd offer up what has worked for me.
Make sure you are doing work that you feel passionate about.I am passionate about my family and if I was not also very passionate about my work...I would not choose to juggle both. It simply would not be worth it.
Being able to work a flexible schedule is really important for at least one parent. It really helps to work in the field of disabilities as my employers have understood about such things as taking off early to attend my son's IEP meetings. I am willing to work for a lower salary as long as I have the ability to flex my work hours or work some hours from home.
Getting buy-in from your family is extremely important. There is no way I could make this work if my husband was not 100% supportive and an equal partner.
Don't try to do it all. You'll probably have to let a few things slide. My house is not perfectly kept up. Dinner is often prepared by Sweet Husband and/or is quick and easy. Take-out has often been my friend.
We've been able to make things work for our family...although it has never been easy. I would love to hear any tips you have to add in the comments.

2 comments:
As I'm about to leave 15 years of full-time employment outside of the house to become a SAHM, I would like to add the following (if I could choose all over again):
Indulge yourself sometimes. Have time to yourself. Have coffee with a friend. I would have been a better mom and a better employee if I heeded this.
As a full-time working mom... I keep my sanity by keeping up with my blog reading while at work! Which I should be getting back to now... ;)
Post a Comment