Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Short-lived

The new caregiver thing? It was short-lived. We let James go today.

On Friday I asked him to take Kellen out for a cheeseburger and Frosty at Wendy's. Instead, he stopped by his apartment and left Kellen in the car while he went in to get something. While he was gone, Kellen got out of James car and walked into someone else's apartment. The woman was startled and took Kellen to the apartment manager's office. James called me on his cell phone to tell me that the manager wanted to talk to me before she would release Kellen to him. I'm so glad she insisted on talking to me as I probably wouldn't have known that this had happened.

I swear this guy does not know how to follow directions and has no judgment.

When they got back to the house, Kellen was drinking a mocha frappuccino from Starbucks. Huh? Not a chocolate Frosty from Wendy's, but a mocha frappuccino from Starbucks. It seems that James could not find the Wendy's so thought he'd buy my son coffee. Same thing, right? Kellen was awake until midnight that night.

It's back to the drawing board. I learned a few things that will hopefully help me do a better job of screening people for next time.

9 comments:

Casdok said...

So sorry to read this.
Am very glad the lady had some sense.
Good luck for next time. Im sure you will find the right person, so crossing fingers again!

Anonymous said...

Geesh! Gen Y issues? Hope you find someone with some common sense.

mommy~dearest said...

Wow- that's crazy! Yes, thanks to the apartment manager lady for having so much sense!

Of course the optimistic thing would be to say that maybe this happened because the right person for Kellen is still out there! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes Jodi, be optimistic. We've had two duds (though not as careless as James) and two very good caregivers. After the first dud I was scared to try again but luck, and a better idea of what we wanted, resulted in a much better match.

I'll send good luck thoughts your way!

Sara

datri said...

Oh my! Now I can understand why my DH is so paranoid about people! We've had the same respite girl for a year and my DH still won't leave her alone in the house with my daughter!

Penny L. Richards said...

ARGH! I'm glad at least that Kellen walked into the apartment of someone with a sense of responsibility--she did the right thing, anyway. I hope James realizes how much worse that scene could have gone....

Jacqui said...

Geez. What a dud. I hope you find someone much much better!

Marshella said...

I enjoy reading your blog and You have an award at my place (Sept 25 blog).

Baby Island said...

Egad, is this what i have to look forward to? Good to know I have such a smarty mentor in you girl. I will be better prepared by knowing you and in reading your experiences. TX and MUAH