I was reading Kelley's post about the time she babysat for neighbors and was paid in parsley and it got me thinking about my own adventures in babysitting. Here they are in no particular order.
1. My sister and I used to take turns babysitting for some neighbors. The dad was very good looking...like hot. He used to drive us the three blocks home, get out of his car and walk us to the door. It always felt a little like coming home from a date or something...and he was so cute...it was downright embarrassing! He was the only one I ever babysat for who walked me to the door. It was so not necessary.
2. The neighbor who lived directly across the street from us had three kids. I babysat for them for years and sometimes on really short notice. I was right across the street and very accessible. I used to haul in the cash. One day I was riding around on my brand-new ten-speed bike and she asked me how I liked the bike "she" bought me. Little did she know how very accurate that was.
3. The mom across the street used to bake Christmas cookies way ahead of time and put them in the freezer. I think I snuck about half of them and ate them while I was babysitting. She never said anything though! She used to make these chocolate ones with powdered sugar on them...they were yummy.
4. There was a new family a few blocks away. I only babysat for them once. About two hours after there son went to bed, he got up again and stood in the living room. He was very quiet and bit disoriented, so I think he was walking in his sleep. The next morning the mom called me about the pee on the freshly shampooed white carpeting in the living room. Ummm...I had no idea. I guess the boy was sleepwalking and trying to find the bathroom. They never asked me back.
5. New Year's Eve was always a primo night for babysitting. Sometimes I would get a few different offers and I would choose the best. One year I babysat for one family and they came home drunk way before midnight and paid me twice what they should have. I came back home with a grin on my face and the family across the street saw that I was home and had me come over and babysit their kids while they went out. Triple score!
Got babysitting stories?
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
HAHA! I totally loved the parents who came home wrecked. They always dropped a ton of cash. I once went home with $50 for babysitting 4 hours! And the little girl slept for 3 of those hours because it was so late lol
I once babysat 4 kids for 4 days while the parents went to a baseball tournament. This was day and night, slept at their house, made all their meals, cleaned for a whopping......$40! Of course I AM dating myself to say that at that time it was a LOT of money.
Chatty Cathy
I was the Babysitter From Hell.... I would invite my boyfriend over after the kids went to sleep, raid the liquor cabinet for a nip, watch r rated shows and mtv, and talk on the phone the.whole.time.
Karma is a b#tch. I recently agreed to hire my friend's teen to babysit, who is "at risk" and getting into trouble. Hubby said, "great, she will talk on the phone, drink our liquor, steal our meds, and show our kids how to go on Facebook." Presently marking the liquor bottles and setting up blocks on the computers....
You definitely got lucky there girl.
Everyone is asking what I did with the parsley, and I will never tell.
I threw it in the bin. Shhhhhh, too boring. I want people to think I did something awesome, but I was a timid little mouse back then. The awesomeness didn't surface until I had to fight the arsehats for Boo.
Hello there, just found this blog and have been reading through all the posts, and relating. We just became guardians for our child, and it really was hard. I sobbed in court. My Max is 5, almost 6, and has cp from a stroke at birth. Lately, I've been spending more time reading all the other blogs I've found than on mine. Come visit sometime, please!
Post a Comment