Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thankful

This morning I put on a sweater that used to belong to my grandmother. I probably only wear it once or twice a year at the most. About ten minutes after I put it on, I realized that today was November 23rd...her birthday. Coincidence?

Kellen was motivated to go to church today for the first time in a long time. He passed out programs with his dad and greeted people as they came in. There was a new family sitting in the row in front of us. They had a beautiful 19 year old daughter with long, flowing brown hair...and Down syndrome. She and Kellen shook hands for about five minutes with smiles on their faces. Could this be love at first sight?

During the sermon our pastor was mentioning how he misses the kind of hugs his three sons gave him when they were young. Afterwards, he came over to say hello and Kellen gave him a big hug and didn't let go for quite some time. You haven't been hugged until you have been hugged by Kellen. I think it meant a lot to our pastor and it certainly warmed my heart.

Thanksgiving is a few days away and I am thankful.

9 comments:

Heike Fabig said...

Oh, you must let us know if Kellen meets up with her again...

akakarma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

(oops sorry, that was me!)
It's great to hear how things are going so well! That's an interesting development- now we'll see if he goes to church every week!

Stat Mama said...

It sounds like you have much to be thankful for :)

Tasty said...

It's days like that which my friend Dena says were written by the "Kosher choreographer." Just a beautiful dance between people and The Creator.

Thanks for sharing it!

Bell Family said...

made me smile...thanks.
-Sheila

Otter Mum's Den said...

Thanks for making me smile. I have been hugged by Kellen. It IS an experience:)

mommy~dearest said...

Aww. Oh yes, you have to keep us posted if there is a romance in the making!

Rob at Kintropy said...

Sounds wonderful! Glad you all got to church together and that Kellen may have made a new friend (and made your pastor's day, I'm sure).