.gif)
As I leaned over to take brownies out of the oven yesterday, Kellen walked by and said in his gravelly voice, "Oh scrumptious!" Immediately it brought to mind Mr. Campbell who used to work with Kellen at school. Mr. Campbell is an older, British gentleman and Kellen picked up many of his unique words and phrases. Another phrase of Mr. Campbell's that Kellen is fond of is "utter nonsense". I'm sure Mr. Campbell used that one every time Kellen got a little too silly. Sometimes when Kellen is hugging me he will say "I have a weakness for you, Mumsie." You got it...Mr. Campbell who always said he had a "weakness" for cookies and referred to me as "Mumsie".
"You silly goose" came from another aid at school, Mrs. Ramsay. "You rascal!" came from Phyllis, a speech therapist Kellen had for many years. When Kellen uses one of these phrases that he didn't pick up in our house, I get a little smile on my face. I am reminded of the people who cared for Kellen in the past and left their lasting imprint on him and our family.

2 comments:
There is something else here---and that is colorful language, and quaint and funky language, and simply, being well-spoken. Kellen has picked up on these elements, it seems. Credit the contacts in Kellen's life to date, but also credit Kellen himself! He has seen the appeal of colorful, quaint and funky language and is choosing to use it! (Similar to something I did when my biological kids were first going to school---I credited the teachers for teaching them to read, but really, my kids chose to learn to read and were ready to learn---and it wasn't solely the magic of the teacher . . .)
CAK
Agreed..."I have a weakness for you, Mumsie," is poetry, made up of found pieces of Mr. Campbell's vocab but still all Kellen's own.
Post a Comment