
There are lots of people out there searching on "Down syndrome" and a few of them are finding their way to this blog...poor souls.
Here are a couple of related ones: "Down syndrome singing talent" and "Down syndrome people singing funny". If anyone knows someone with an extra 21st chromosome who has singing talent, could you please leave me a comment? I am wondering if that person exists. If you were looking for "singing funny", well, leave me a comment too. I can help you there.
Someone from Toronto searched on "Down syndrome 16 year old birthday present". One word: cellphone (or is that supposed to be two words?) I blew it on this one and now we are waiting to get him one for his 17th birthday. I'll let you know if we can hold out that long. If your teenager older has a cellphone, you can always try a bird. Related to this search was the "down syndrome people get driver licenses". Yes, I did post a little funny related to that very subject.
What's with the phrase "down syndrome people"? Maybe there are other creatures with Down syndrome?
Such as the mice at Stanford? Someone else is curious too as they searched on "possibility of down syndrome in cat". I don't know if our cat Max has DS, but he certainly seems to have low-muscle tone. We call him the "boneless kitty". In fact, I once had a friend ask me if Max had special needs. I'm not sure if he has special needs, but he certainly meets Kellen's needs.Someone from Canada searched on "happy feet down's syndrome". Interesting. Kellen doesn't have happy feet. I did post on the movie Happy Feet and how it made me think about our life with Kellen.
Someone from Spain searched on "Down syndrome ear". Now those I just love.They are the best, so soft and pliable. I just love to play with Kellen's ears. I bet you would too, if you could. Maybe you have your own kid with fun ears?
Here is another good search, from London, "a day in life of a care assistant looking after someone with downs syndrome". I can tell you it will have it's ups and downs, but it will probably one of the jobs you will truly love. It will change you. It will teach you so much about yourself. You will be taught more than you will have taught. In fact if you live in Western Washington, leave me a comment and we can have Kellen school ya.
Here is my favorite: "what is the net contribution of someone with down syndrome".There is not enough room on this, or any, blog to fully answer that question. I only hope you get the opportunity to experience if for yourself.

4 comments:
Jodi, I was recently at the Canadian Down Syndrome Society conference and a young man got up to the mic during lunch and led us all in a rousing version of Edelweiss. I was surprised he could sing, because Russell loves to sing but can't keep a tune.
Hey, I was there too! It was interesting to see the crowds' reaction. MANY people got up and left.
Instead of leaving, we got up and sang along too.
WHO WOULD LEAVE? I'm with you, Suz, I'd sing along. It's a great song!
Jodi, people don't use interesting searches to reach my site...but I love the ones you get, and your responses...
This is really quite funny, but it's one of those things you laugh at to keep from crying. The people searching for people with DS singing are probably also the kinds of folks who try to find videos of people in wheelchairs going down stairs. I'm not saying that it's impossible for someone with Down's Syndrome to sing. Just that some people really want to laugh at other people they see as being unfortunate.
Post a Comment