Sunday, August 12, 2007

Babies as Therapy

"He is too much in his head", Sweet Husband and I have remarked lately when we've talked about what is going on with Kellen. He is withdrawn, tense, and preoccupied. Yesterday we took him to the park for a gathering with families of little ones with Down syndrome. He stood in one place like he didn't quite know what to do with himself. That is, until a family with a baby arrived. Babies and toddlers are the one thing that can bring Kellen out of himself. It never fails. He loves to play This Little Piggy with their tiny, pink toes.

He loves to be a caregiver and he is so gentle with them.


Maybe what he loves is their unconditional acceptance of him.

Anyone have a baby we can borrow?

4 comments:

S said...

Oh how sweet. I love how tender he sounds with little ones.

No babies here! ;)

Penny L. Richards said...

Oooh, my son was that baby once! When he was about a year old (but still tiny), we were at an ARC picnic, and our friend's six-year-old daughter with DS took a liking to Jake. She went home and named one of her Cabbage Patch dolls "Jake," because it had yellow yarn hair. Her mom told me that it was the first time she ever named any of her dolls. Awww!

Kellen does look so gentle and patient with that little one. And so big! That child looks so comfortable leaning against him and just feeling his shelter.

Baby Island said...

I DO! I DO!

I've got three babies and I'll give you a discount if you take the girl children first!! I have a NO RETURN policy and can not be held responsible for lost or stolen items. Please inquire within. Thank you and good luck with your search..

Beth said...

Kellen is adorable with those little ones. Babies are good therapy for all of us! (Except when you have 2 of 'em who are 2 and running in opposite directions...) Ah, well. This too shall pass. I know that because me oldest (who was just a baby yesterday) is starting high school tomorrow!