Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Embrace

Things are moving slow over here in the "progress" department. Kellen is still not able to go to school due to anxiety and depression. Some days he doesn't even leave his bedroom, much less the house. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to a "good day" or "bad day." We are continuing with doctor appointments, adjusting meds, and loving our son the best we know how.

Sweet Husband and I are keen observers and we've learned to look for small signs to tell us how Kellen is feeling.

A bad day:
Sleeping most of the day
Grumpiness and irritability
Not wanting to be touched
Not wanting to leave his room
Standing and rocking and not wanting to sit down

A good day:
Getting up before 9am
Taking a bath or shower without coaxing
Smiling
Teasing us with his sense of humor (untying our shoelaces, tickling our feet)
Singing to songs on the radio or even singing without the radio (singing is simply a very good sign)
Willingness to watch television
Hugging us or allowing us to hug him
Responding when we tell him we love him
Wanting to go places in the car and more importantly, the ability to transition from place to place with ease

The things on his "good day" list are things we used to take for granted. Hugging us and teasing us are things he used to do every single day and were sometimes so relentless they were exasperating. Little did I know back then, just how much I would miss them when they were gone.

Today, love your children in all of their quirkiness. Embrace even the things that drive you a little nuts. If they'll let you...give them a hug.

4 comments:

Casdok said...

Hugs to Kellen and you.

mommy~dearest said...

Dammit- I hate posts that make me cry!

I know about those feelings. The feeling of "losing" a part of your son and being afraid that it may not come back. The feeling of frustration, that your child is not happy, and there is nothing you can do that seems to make it better. And the feeling of helplessness, of wanting to do anything it will take to bring his happiness back for good.

Absolutely follow your wisdom. Celebrate the good days, and try to find a bit of good in the bad ones as well. Give him extra hugs on days that he'll accept them.

*Hugs to you and Kellen*

Kellan said...

Such good advice - that last sentence. I'm sorry you are having difficulties lately. I'm glad he has you.

Baby Island said...

awwwwww Jodi!!

Big hugs from all of us here on Baby Island.