Thursday, November 15, 2007

Geeky or Cool?

"Is he a Cool Kid or a Geeky Kid?"

Let me think about that one. Last week I was talking with a ten-year-old boy with autism. I had gone to his house to meet with his mother. When he found out that my son was waiting for me in the car, his eyes got big and the questions started flying.

"How old is your son?"
"Why is he in the car?"
"Is he going to come in?"
"Is he a Cool Kid or a Geeky Kid?"


This last question made me pause and think. Is Kellen cool or geeky? More importantly...is he a "Cool Kid" or a "Geeky Kid?"

"He is a Cool Kid and a Geeky Kid. Can you be both?" I asked.

There was a slight hesitation on his part. "I am kind of in between," he stated.

"Well, Kellen is kind of in between too," said I.

Later, when I really thought about it, I realized that Kellen is a Cool Kid. More than a little funky, quirky and off-beat...but cool.

2 comments:

Kathy Gillen said...

I think the most interesting people are cool and geeky. It's too bad it takes kids awhile to figure that out.

mommy~dearest said...

Haven't you heard? Quirky IS the new cool.